Withdrawal/Transfer Policy & Procedures


Notice to Parents Regarding Un-enrollment of their Student from a Charter School


Utah state law establishes procedures that govern the withdrawal of students from charter schools for enrollment in district schools.  See Utah Code. §53A-1a-506.5 and Utah Admin. Rule R277-472.  Specifically, Utah law states that parents are to provide notice by June 30th of their intent to withdraw from a charter school and enroll in another school (either a district school or another charter school) for the following year.  If the parent applies for admission to their school district of residence for the following year before June 30th, the school district must accept the student into the student’s school of residence.


For example, if during the 2013-2014 school year a parent intends to withdraw their student from a charter school and re-enroll in their neighborhood district school for the 2014-2015 school year, they should notify both the charter school and their local school district of that intent prior to June 30, 2014.  The district is required to enroll the student in their local neighborhood school.


If a parent wants to withdraw a student from a charter school after June 30th or during the school year, state law requires the parent to first go to the school district or other charter school and obtain a letter of acceptance for enrollment in the new school.  The parent then needs to give the charter school a copy of that letter of acceptance.  Also, in this situation, the local school district is not required to accept the student into their school of residence if the parent did not notify the district before June 30th.  The district is only required to accept the student into a school in the district that has adequate capacity.


For example, if the parent in the above example fails to enroll in the neighborhood district prior to June 30, 2013, the district doesn’t have to allow the student to enroll in their neighborhood school if that school doesn’t have adequate capacity for the 2013-2014 school year.  The district would then tell the parent which school has capacity for their child and the parent would be responsible for transportation to that school.


School districts should post information on their website about which schools in the district have adequate capacity.  If they have not done so, you should contact the district office and request that information.  If you choose to un-enroll your student from your current charter school, then change your mind, you will have to re-enroll through the lottery, and we cannot guarantee re-entry into the school regardless of the situation.




Once the charter school has received official written notification from the legal guardian as to where and when the transferring student will be transferring to, the charter school may then forward on the student’s cumulative file with all pertinent information.

  • Examples of official documentation are as follows: records request from the receiving school; an approved application for home schooling or distance education; a letter from an official in the receiving school acknowledging the student’s enrollment. All documentation will need to be in writing rather than a telephone conversation or other verbal communication with a parent, relative, or neighbor so that the transfer can be verified through audits or monitoring.


The charter school website will have a readily accessible transfer form for legal guardians to complete.  A report from their student information system can be run as often as necessary, at least on a monthly basis, to export data on students that have exited the school.  This data will help verify that the correct exit code was used and that files have been sent to the receiving school.  If the charter school has not received any official documentation from the receiving school within a reasonable timeframe, the charter school will notify the neighborhood district of this student’s transfer.